Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Double-click on ANY english word to find out the meaning or to translate. Haga doble click en cualquier palabra en Inglés para saber su significado o para traducir.

From The Bustan, Chapter V "On Love And Beauty"


Story III

A person had not seen his friend for a long interval. At last he met him and said, "Where wert thou? for I longed after thee." He replied, "Better longing than loathing."

COUPLET

Gay idol of my soul! late comest thou!
Not soon will I release thy garment now.

VERSE

"Tis better that our friend we seldom see,
Than to behold him to satiety.

SENTIMENT

When a fair one comes attended by companions, she comes only to torment us; because, in that case, there must arise the jealousy and discord of rivals.

COUPLET

Comest thou attended, then thou comest me only to distress;
Thou comest truly to make war, though peace thy looks express.

STANZA

But for an instant should my friend prefer
To be with others, envy would me slay.
"Saadi!" he smiling cried, "Would this deter
Me this assembly's beacon? what, I say,
Imports it that in me moths quench life's ray!"

translated by Edward B. Eastwick
Print this

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home